CALL FOR CALABAR GALLERY IN BEDSTUY
Calabar Gallery is seeking artists for a year long series of group shows featuring the African, Caribbean and African American Artists in 6 exhibitions. Work should respond to each exhibition themes and each artists may submit for all exhibitions with 3-5 works. Works must be submitted via our website by dates outlined. All shows will feature 5-8 emerging and established artists.
- Brooklyn is the World: September 18 – November 3, 2016
- Contemporary African Spirituality: November 13 – December 29, 2016
- Black Lives in Words and Images: January 15 – March-24, 2017
- NATURE: Environment: Earth: April 2 – June 1, 2017
- Harlem and Brooklyn Dialogues: June 11 – August 31, 2017
- ART Politics: What Cause?: August 7 -September 14, 2017
- Brooklyn is the World, the exhibition explores the notion of being at the center of the universe and what it takes to be in the world’s eye. It explores the intrinsic diversity of this city, its people and culture at crossroads.
Deadline: Sept 7, 2016
Contemporary African Spirituality envisions what cultural practices have been mixed, juxtaposed and collided in practices that are African and Modern. Deadline: Sept 7, 2016
- Black Lives in Words and Images speaks to the world of blackness in these times and since the election of Barack Obama. Exploring the positive and negative impacts of black lives, this exhibition seeks to capture a slice of Black Lives. Deadline: Sept 7, 2016
NATURE: Environment: Earth engages in dialogues that speak to artists whose work is based on nature, the environment and earth. It explores the movements, the issues and the solutions. Deadline: Oct 7, 2016
Harlem and Brooklyn Dialogues explores narratives of Harlem, the place, and Brooklyn, the place, in the lives and work of artists. It seeks to understand the similarities and differences of these two vital New York neighborhoods. Deadline: Oct 7, 2016
ART Politics: What Cause? dares to dive into what political issues artists are contemplating and the politics of art making in these times. Deadline: Oct 7, 2016
COMPLETE FORM BELOW TO APPLY:
The Gallery at Calabar (Calabar Gallery) periodically seeks work for its new gallery area and would artists to submit:
- A CV / resume that includes information about your main solo and group exhibitions (in Word format or PDF). Please do not forget to provide your full name and contact details as well.
- A short bio with information about who you are or an artist’s statement explaining your approach (in Word format or PDF)
- 5 to 10 JPEGs as examples of the work you would like to propose for a solo or group exhibition
- Social Media details – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Linkedin, Periscope.